Great American Floors offers many types of engineered exotic bamboo flooring and solid bamboo flooring. Bamboo flooring is a trendy, earth friendly, and wonderful innovation that has helped revolutionized the flooring industry. If you are a lover of natural things and want to have environmentally friendly flooring in your home, then bamboo flooring unquestionably is the right choice for you. Bamboo flooring will add a clean, sharp, aesthetic look to the interior of your home. Bamboo flooring has its own natural way of reflecting light in a room to give it a brighter; more open contemporary feeling. So if you are open to, or considering new bamboo flooring as your next flooring choice, make sure you pick the one that is right for you. We offer both engineered and solid bamboo flooring. Solid Bamboo flooring is strands of bamboo that have been stacked and pressed together to form usually a 1 ¾ inch thick solid wood floor plank.
Solid Bamboo flooring should be nailed or stapled down as a preferred method of solid bamboo flooring installation. The most cost effective bamboo flooring can be found in our engineered bamboo flooring products line. These products are easy, do it yourself, type flooring that can be glued down and save home owners a considerable amount of time and money.
Strength and Durability
Thanks to its unique composition, bamboo is naturally designed for strength…
- Unlike wood, bamboo has no rays or knots, allowing it to withstand more stress throughout the length of each stalk.
- Bamboo’s sectional anatomy, both as a cane and on a microscopic fiber level, enhances its structural integrity.
- The high silica content in bamboo fibers means the material cannot be digested by termites.
- Bamboo contains different chemical extractives than hardwood, which make it better suited for gluing.
Trees used for conventional wood take 30-50 years to regenerate to their full mass. In the meantime, there is less oxygen produced, less carbon dioxide consumed, and more soil runoff in the spot where the tree was harvested – all producing harmful environmental effects. When it comes to sustainability, bamboo has traditional lumber beat in every category…
- Bamboo is clocked as the fastest growing plant on Earth. Some species have been measured to grow over 4 feet in 24 hours.
- A pole of bamboo can regenerate to its full mass in just six months!
- Bamboo can be continuously re-harvested every 3 years, without causing damage to the plant system and surrounding environment.
- During the time it takes to regenerate, the bamboo plant’s root system stays intact so erosion is prevented.
- Continuous harvesting of this woody grass every 3-7 years, actually improves the overall health of the plant.
Habitat Loss and Wildlife Protection
Habitat destruction is ranked as the single greatest threat facing our planet’s animals, and the largest cause of extinction. Tropical forests contain at least half our planet’s species whose habitats are being destroyed at an alarming rate. According to the World Resources Institute, more than 80% of Earth’s forests have already been destroyed, and they continue to be wiped out at a rate 10x higher than any possible level of regrowth- more than 17 million hectares a year! As a result, 85% of the world’s species are now classified as “threatened” or “endangered”. If the destruction of habitats around the globe does not slow, mass extinctions is sadly imminent.
What causes habitat destruction?
Human activity resulting from overpopulation is the driving cause behind habitat destruction. Intensive harvesting of timber, deforestation, slash-and-burn practices, and urban development all make for fewer places that wildlife can call home. Pollution, global warming, and conversion of natural habitat for agricultural use also greatly impact habitats.
By offering alternative products made with sustainable materials, Cali Bamboo aims to combat habitat loss and divert logging in the rainforest, protecting the homes of all the amazing wildlife that call Earth home.